|“||The greatest tragedy of all was that this butcher of innocents would never be called to account for his crimes.||„|
|~ A classic Karma Houdini|
A "Karma Houdini" is someone who isn't adequately punished for their villainous actions, and escapes justice by "pulling a Houdini" (disappearing) from karma. Many scapegoats have eventually become karma houdinis, due to how much they suffer which eventually covers up their actions in the future.
A Karma Houdini, in this context, has one of the following traits:
- the villain simply died; in a ruler's case, while still in power (examples: Joseph Stalin, Mao Zedong, Kim il Sung, Kim Jong-il, Francisco Franco, Meles Zenawi, etc.)
- the villain was deposed or put in a vulnerable position, but he/she escaped prosecution (example: Idi Amin)
- the villain never got caught (example Jack the Ripper)
- the villain is still alive today, and is either in an invulnerable position or on the run.
- the villain committed suicide before he/she could be punished for his/her crimes (example: Adolf Hitler).
NOTE: no matter how painless the death or imprisonment is, deceased (unless they have died of natural causes) and imprisoned villains do not count as karma houdinis, with very few exceptions.
All items (163)